Hello fellow DC210 chapter members!
As you know, our July 15 meeting has been planned as a field trip to an historic section of Santa Cruz, CA, adjacent to the San Lorenzo River. Our destination is a small community of vintage and charming cottages, nestled among redwood trees, ferns, hydrangeas, and many other flora. This location is also host to pre and post-Civil War construction of the California Powder Works, such as a covered bridge, a large Victorian farmhouse, and an original powder house for storing black gun powder.
To kick off our trip, a local resident and our host, Judy Wahl, will be providing a tour of some of the more interesting historic sites in the community, some selected with artists in mind. During this tour, we will see many opportunities for photos and sketching/drawing. Following the tour, we can return to any of the places we saw for more photos, or to settle in for a nice session of drawing, or exploring more of the community on our own.
We will meet up for lunch to discuss what we are working on and to ask any questions of our host we might have. After that, we can return to exploring and documenting the community, hopefully for future projects. Before we depart, we will meet up for a show and tell e.g., sketches, photos, ideas for future projects.
Please feel free to bring a guest. Artists working in any medium are welcome.
RSVP to Paula Greer and Peggy Milovina Meyer by July 12
Details - Meet at Paradise Park, 211 Paradise Park, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, at 10am, July 15, 2017.
1. Take CA-17 S towards Santa Cruz
2. Take CA-1 N (a slight right after passing the CA-1 S exit)
3. Take a right on to CA-9 N / River St.
4. Take a slight right at the entrance to Paradise Park Masonic Club (small red gatehouse)
5. Once you arrive at the entrance, follow the CPSA signs to the parking location.
Carpools – We recommend touching base with other members in your area to set up carpools. Please consider using our chapter Facebook page to post if you can drive or are looking for a ride.
Lunch – Please bring your own lunch and beverages. There are no places nearby to purchase food.
What should I bring (besides lunch)? :
· Drawing/sketching supplies in an easy to carry container, drawing board
· Collapsible chair that is easy to carry
· Small bag to hold any trash
· We will be outside so don’t forget your hat and sunscreen
· Comfortable walking shoes
· A light jacket. Mornings can be brisk and it can get a little chilly in the shade
· We are guests in the community. Please respect property and privacy. If you see something you would like to get closer to that requires you to go into someone’s yard, please ask permission of the owner if they are home. Generally use your best judgement. To help with this, we will be given a card with our host’s information in case we are asked (who we are and why we are there).
· For those with ATT cell phones, service is not great. Those with Verizon will typically have no issues.
· For those who may have difficulty getting around, our host has secured two golf carts that will be used while in the park.
· If you would like to make a weekend of it, there are many motels and hotels in and near Santa Cruz.
· Staying the weekend and wonder what to do? Let us know in advance and we can provide suggestions for interesting places to visit.